Newcomer testing this site.

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
whitekings

Newcomer testing this site.

Post by whitekings » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:53 pm

Hello, I'm new to SlowChess.

I'm looking for the best site to play free correspondence chess. SlowChess is one of four sites I am currently testing - the other three are QueenAlice, ChessManiac and ChessHere. After several months of testing, I will decide which site I like best, and sign up with a "main" username (I always use whitekings as a "testing" username).

During my few months of testing, I will explore the features of the site, and get familiar with the community here. I may conduct several other miscellaneous tests to gauge the quality of the site.

I will be participating in discussions on these forums, and starting several new threads. While some of the topics may be controversial, this is intended to help me get familiar with the community and is part of my miscellaneous testing.

Hopefully after several months of testing, SlowChess will be the site I pick. And if after several months on my new main account, I find I really enjoy it, I may even consider paying for a subscription.

langelli

Post by langelli » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:30 am

LUCKY US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

xmate

Post by xmate » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:36 am

Is this guy serious or is this a set up?

parkejo

Post by parkejo » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:05 am

Guys, please be nice in your comments. I'm afraid they might make wkings think we are not a friendly bunch, and then he might not pick us. Of course, if he (i) complains about a slow player who is clearly in a lost position and refuses to resign, (ii) gripes about not picking up a W when someone timed out under 10 moves, or (iii) starts another thread about Fritz or someother chessbase, then I say the gloves are off.

I wonder if he understands the strict rules about performance enhancing drugs and the urine sample requirements.

whitekings

Post by whitekings » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:35 pm

I agree with Parkejo. As Wikipedia says, assume good faith, and don't bite the newcomers.

To be honest, I was slightly reluctant to include SlowChess in the list of sites I was testing, as I could not gather sufficient information on whether it would meet my basic requirements. The other replies don't give a good impression of the community here, unlike at QueenAlice, where the replies made me feel very welcome. Nevertheless, first impressions can change, and I'm glad there are people like parkejo.

Perhaps you would like to show me around and introduce to me some of the great features of this site? I started a 10-player tournament but I'm still waiting for people to join. How do you suggest I get some games started and find opponents stronger than myself to play? Other websites I have played at offer a list of online players to challenge and several forms of competition such as tournaments, teams and leagues.

wbartier

Post by wbartier » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:53 am

Hello,

For the moment I'm playing on two sites: this one and gameknot. Gameknot doesn't have a forum and if you wanne play moer than 12 games you have to pay a membership.

As a 'new'-player it is indeed difficult to get started. But you need patience, everybody had this period. Every player want to play against a player of his own strenght, so if you grow to your own level you will play up to 'better' players.

Don't let you getting down of some critics. It is natural that a chessplayer is cinical. It is a form of (self)relativation.

And...
To who I have to post my urine for control? Is alcohol also illigal? Landis tested testosteron after drinking beer. ( Is Amstel a beer?)
:twisted:

See Ye
Wieland

langelli

Post by langelli » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:15 am

Whitekings,
I see you got some wise-guy responses to your initial posting on the net-chess forum, including one from me. Surely you see the arrogance in your first words, intentional or not. None-the -less, I guess I understand your initial impression of the net-chess community. I have been playing here for 2 years, and I'm sure your impression will change as you get to know us. There are many good people playing here. I offer you my apollogies for my reply, and welcome you to the site. I would like to play you, and I'll post a 2 game challenge today. I hope I can give you a stimulating match.
Regards,
langelli

whitekings

Post by whitekings » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:19 am

I used to play on GameKnot too. I enjoy playing in their competitions. They do have forums - accessible under "More Options". The reason why I left, however, is due to an unfriendly community, and getting banned for no reason.

I understand that new players often have difficulty getting started. I would appreciate tips for getting games against stronger players in the shortest time possible. On the three other sites I'm testing, I am already in 10+ simultaneous games against other players.

Although I have a slightly negative first impression of SlowChess, I've noted that first impressions can change. I am generally more tolerant than others when it comes to specific incidents, such as an unfriendly welcome, server downtime or minor restriction. However, I have higher standards than most for the general experience.

whiteace

Post by whiteace » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:47 pm

I'm new here too and you guys already make me want to pukeImage

which one of you believe that load. Thankfully a WhiteAce beats Image a WhiteKing!!!

Question's 1:interface auto, enhanced, standard, or old which do you prefer the most/why so?
2:Which page is it best to shortcut to?
3:What other secrets should I be aware of....now don't hold back on me confess

hamot

Newcomer.....

Post by hamot » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:31 pm

Hi there WhiteKings -

Don't worry too much about all the hot air that was passed around here. I have been here since 2000 and I can honestly say that these players are some of the most enjoyable people around.

If you are looking for just some "fun" games, post a few 1 on 1 open challenges.

If you are looking to play some people that have been around a while, challenge someone who is on the "Games Played" list or the "Moves Played" list on the home page.

If you are looking for a real butt kicking, challenge my good friend davidswhite. He didn't even CHARGE me to kick my butt.

If you are looking for a really good challenge, challenge rhand.

If you are looking for a faster paced game, challenge someone who is on the "Top Move Players" list.

This is a very active site. Most people will show you the utmost respect. Many people are also very respectable. Some are not. That happens in any group of people. Don't let that discourage you.

Hope that helps,
Tim

mic

thank you your majesty !!!!

Post by mic » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:36 pm

It's awfully nice of you to grant us the privilege of visiting this site. I played on Chesshere and was not impressed with the site. For the last three years I have explored many sites and find this one best suites my schedule of a working class type of guy. However, I do not like people who use chess base engines to play moves on this sites. It takes the brain out of it...besides the ratings are not really that person but their chess engine that they are playing with. And on this site we like to profile a typical chess player: 1) matted hair not washed unkept. 2) can't get girls 3) body odor to match 4) arrogant...looks down on the little people 5) probably was adopted by an Angoline Jolie type as a kid and never breast fed...dumb luck, eh??? :D :D :evil: :evil: :oops:
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic