m1152923993 I did not join

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
pawnder

m1152923993 I did not join

Post by pawnder » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:19 am

Did anyone else get picked to play without joining?
I had a similar time control once and could not remember joining
but played it through. Here, Im almost certain I did not

If I start, Ill play.

I hadnt really shared how some of the archived records showed altered games
and added made up players , I guess they fall into the same category
as forgery, although I may take this a little better,I didnt really have it planned to play and dont want to lower my record or ruin a match by not responding

Someone in the match let me know,or
Greg can I bow out and not lose status? Thx, eh Pawnder :?:

slowblunder

2006 tournament

Post by slowblunder » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:46 am

You joined the 2006 tournament and won the first round.
So it is no surprise that you join the second round without any further activity - unless you have withdrawn in the meantime.

Good luck and enjoy!

slowblunder

What about that?

Post by slowblunder » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:18 am

Another idea came to my mind in the meantime:
A lot of first-round games were not played because one opponent didn´t make any move - especially in the group I was in. I think those players either left net-chess or forgot about their registration which had been months ago.
This is possible for this second round as well, especially because summer vacation season takes place in many countries. Others might have left net-chess or don´t want to be surprised with another bunch of games at the moment (see pawnder´s posting).

Is it possible to send an email reminder to all participants two weeks in advance? If they answer within that time they are in - otherwise not. Two weeks seem reasonable to me because you get ten days to make your first move in a game, so it´s about the same period of time.
The advantages are obvious: less time-forfeited games, less "forced" games for people who don´t want to ruin their rating but currently can´t afford the time for these games, (maybe) less rounds or samller groups.
Two disadvantages: more effort for gmiller and two dead-lines to be met by each participant (email answer 14 days and first moves 10 days).

pawnder

Post by pawnder » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:40 pm

So its second round in tournament? Are those the time controls?
I thought it was a match someone started.
I would never agree to those time controls
I have completed all my matches for over 5 years now

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:27 pm

Yes, it's round two of the 2006 open. The time controls are the same as the last, 60d+0d, with an extra 14d upon request after reaching 50 moves.
Greg Miller

knightmare
Uranium

Post by knightmare » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:45 pm

I too was a little surprised by this new crop of games suddenly appearing in my list. I confess I don't follow tourney result at all and apparently I'm not alone in my neglect. Perhaps some reference on the crosstable page (or anywhere else) indicating the it's 2nd round tourney would be helpful to others as well.