How does net-chess deal with cheaters?

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
slowblunder

How does net-chess deal with cheaters?

Post by slowblunder » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:34 am

1) What is considered cheating?
- using chess books (openings, endings)
- using opening data bases
- using chess machines
- asking for other people´s advice
- giving advices to other players
- receiving other people´s advice
- playing with different handles (in the same tournament)
- manipulating one´s rating (up/down)
- resigning won or draw positions to help someone winning a tournament (or proceeding to the next tournament round)
- "quick" draws in tournaments which help both opponents
- others ...

2) Are there net-chess rules concerning "courtesy"?
- rude remarks to fellow players (game comments, messages, forum postings)
- permanently offered draws
- stalling obviously lost games
- "quick" draws in tournaments which help both opponents
- naming/accusing cheaters in public (or other players for whatever reasons)
- others ...

For some of these points I am currently aware of something I don´t like. I am happy that I am not affected directly (so it´s of no use to look up my current games/opponents).
I just like to know
- if there are any written rules on this site (I searched for them, but without success)
- if such behaviour is okay in net-chess
- how to report it (if it is not okay)
- what consequences may arise for other users
- if there have been incidents/consequences in the past

I read that the safest way to ask questions/report problems is to post it in the forums. Therefore I open this thread, but I won´t go into details because I don´t know if that violates other rules.
On the other hand I learnt (by another thread) that emails to gmiller may be suppressed by his spam-filter - and I made this experience half a year ago myself (the problem now is solved anyway, I simply contacted another user and all worked out fine).

The questions above are not only for gmiller - if other users like to share their opinions/experiences I would be happy if they did.
By the way: some of the mentioned behaviour is absolutely okay for me, some is just disgustable, the rest may depend on the circumstances (and there may be other points I simply forgot). I don´t want to force the discussion into a direction I want (although I am afraid I do), so I tried to write it in a non-prejudiced manner. I hope for an open discussion, feel free!

solarflare

Cheaters

Post by solarflare » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:38 pm

Most postal organizations consider cheating the use of playing programs such as Fritz and Shredder and receiving help from other players. Using data bases and books are not considered cheating.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:23 pm

The USCF rules for correspondence chess are in effect here. Those address pretty much every question you have.

The only frequent problems we really have are people stalling in lost positions, or not accepting a draw in drawn positions. In such cases, I normally just reduce the amout of time the offending player has for lost games and just declare a draw on drawn games. But, for the vast majority of games, these never come into play.

parkejo

Post by parkejo » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:04 pm

Can anyone provide a link to USCF rules for correspondence chess?

ciortan

Post by ciortan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:37 am

I don't beleive that is a problem of using programs or database, either moral or oficial....
From some level ahead, the exhaustive use of computer is only a...mistake. I , personaly, know a lot of people wich had no trouble in search and find of a better direction of strategy against programs in all positions (doesen't metter the comp. power or progr. used).

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:48 pm

As far as a link to the USCF correspondence rules go, I remember reading something on the USCF forums stating that the publisher has no interest in allowing the USCF to put the rules on-line.

The gist of them are (from memory):

1. Use of computers for analysis is forbidden.
2. Use of printed material is OK.

There's a good 15-20 pages in the rule book, but I think these are the only ones which actually apply. The rest of them are about time keeping, tournament organization, and transmitting moves.

dcroll

Post by dcroll » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:17 am

1. Use of computers for analysis is forbidden.
2. Use of printed material is OK.
If I enter the whole PGN move sequence of a mind-boggling situation into a chess software and I let the computer analyze the best moves, it is cheating.

But if I just enter "1. e4 e5" (or any other sequence) into the software, let the computer do the same thing, save its analysis to the harddisk and consult this computer-made "opening book" at a later time, it isn't cheating anymore - because it is an opening book which hasn't been made into "printed material" yet.

The same problem concerns the vast PGN archives from http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html - it isn't printed material, downloading these master/GM games doesn't cost a penny, and it may be as helpful as any printed opening book.

Is anybody, apart from me, thinking that this "use of computers for analysis" rule should be revised in the light of this thought?

shammer

Post by shammer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:06 pm

using a database is not using the computer for analysis. the player is doing the analysis using what is essentially printed material. the intent of those rules seems to be the prohibition of additional "brains", human or otherwise.

mic

cheaters

Post by mic » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:16 pm

Hey Snowblunder:

I do not like cheaters either, I believe there are some who use chess machines and that is outright cheating. I do not care if someone looks stuff up cause that's what one does in a postal type chess situation. As for the nasty comments, most people are just LOL typers and do not really mean what they are saying...but for rules and stuff....don't worry cause this site is free unless you want to donate!!!!!! So a free site, stay away from the bad arsesssss and just play the ones who are honest...you will beable to figure that out after a couple of hundred games.

your friend in chess,

Mic

ps. I am up for a challenge are you????
enjoyed chess for thirty years...have lots of books and mags but never time to study. Maybe when I retire...chess strength has gone done ratings are unrealistic