Login Problems

For discussion pertaining to Chess, Net-Chess, or general interests.
joelag

Login Problems

Post by joelag » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:10 am

Currently I have login issues.

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: ""
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

As well via a direct internet access as via (my employer's VPN). Not good. Timeout is near :(

gmiller
Site Admin

Re: Login Problems

Post by gmiller » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:07 am

We have had some recent issues with the database going down, but that should not result in the error you're seeing below. If you can get to the forum to post a message, you shouldn't be getting network errors on other parts of the site. Employers usually block this site since it's a gaming site, so that's not a good test unless it's worked in the past. But I don't think the issue you're having is do to anything on the net-chess server.
Greg Miller

joelag

Post by joelag » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:30 am

gmiller wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:07 am
We have had some recent issues with the database going down, but that should not result in the error you're seeing below. If you can get to the forum to post a message, you shouldn't be getting network errors on other parts of the site. Employers usually block this site since it's a gaming site, so that's not a good test unless it's worked in the past. But I don't think the issue you're having is do to anything on the net-chess server.
Thanks for the response, meanwhile it is fixed for me. But as explanation to you:

• employers network: Of course. I'm aware. Therefore I tested it with my own internet access, too, before posting
  • maybe you are partly wrong about the error message being caused on my side. 15 minutes after posting I tried again ... and this time I've seen some error message about the database ... so maybe the message that I quoted has been a harbinger of the problem?
  • These 15 minutes later then I wasn't able neither to connect to the site nor the forum

Anyway: All is good now ... I could make my move in Germany's evening - 13 hours before time-out.

Thanks for maintaining this great site!

gcohen

Post by gcohen » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:22 pm

I have had the same problem about 4 times over the last 10 days to 2 weeks.
I'm logging in from Colombia.
It doesn't last long--15/20 minutes to an hour.
Happened today at about 12 noon EST.
I'm not complaining--I shrug it off---these things happen.

u

Post by u » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 am

I also had a problem to login two days before and today, some hours before. Yesterday and now it works again.
When the problem was there, I can see the homepage but after login I got following message:

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

Also I was not able to see the forum two days before.

gmiller
Site Admin

Post by gmiller » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 am

The database process has been crashing on a somewhat regular basis for the past week or so, which is causing the login issues. I'm still looking in to why.
Greg Miller